Anaphylaxis and Food Allergies

Anaphylaxis is a severe allergic reaction. It can occur within seconds or minutes of exposure to something you're allergic to, such as a peanut or the venom from a bee sting.

The flood of chemicals released by your immune system during anaphylaxis can cause you to go into shock; your blood pressure drops suddenly and your airways narrow, blocking normal breathing. Signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis include a rapid, weak pulse, a skin rash, and nausea and vomiting.

Anaphylaxis requires an immediate trip to the emergency department and an injection of epinephrine. If anaphylaxis isn't treated right away, it can lead to unconsciousness or even death.

Source: The Mayo Clinic

If you suspect your child is having an anaphylactic reaction, please step away from the computer and call 911. Every second counts!--Jenny, The Nut-Free Mom blog.

No comments: