Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Donald Trump, Food Allergies and Honky Tonk Badonkadonk

Food allergies make strange bedfellows out of the most diverse people. Yes, apparently, everyone IS affected by them. And here's proof: Donald Trump is now involved (in an inadvertant way, to be sure but, read on.)

I never thought I'd be grateful to Donald Trump for anything, but.... If you watch "Celebrity Apprentice"(I admit that I don't--but I think I might have to start) you already know that country music star Trace Adkins is currently appearing on the show to benefit The Food Allergy Anaphylaxis Network. This is the first time (that I'm aware of) that a commercial TV show has shed light on food allergies in this way. If you click the above link you can see video of Trace talking about his daughter's food allergies and his decision to support FAAN.

I am thrilled that someone in the spotlight would choose this issue to support. I am not a country music fan, but apparently Mr. Adkins has had several hits including, (I must say one of the funniest song titles I've ever heard): "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk." Yeah, that's right. The song is all about butts. The video pretty much is a woman's worst nightmare, OK, you've got me there. But I laughed myself silly when I heard the song and I'm driving my husband crazy by singing it constantly.

I would link directly to the video, but I'm trying to keep this a family blog. :) You can watch it on youtube if you want to. Let me just say this: it looks like they're at Gilly's from "Urban Cowboy" if the girls at Gilly's wore gold lame hot pants.

Actually, I can't think of a better spokesperson at the moment. Here's the thing: this guy is clearly not all PC, which food-allergic parents are frequently accused of being, and that's the excuse for people not taking it seriously. Just imagine if Brangelina were the spokespeople for food allergies. Yikes.

I thank Mr. Adkins for supporting this issue and I hope he's successful on "Celebrity Apprentice." Week 5 has just passed and Trump still hasn't told him "You're fired!" He's already beat out Gene Simmons of Kiss. That's pretty impressive in my book.

And if Trace Adkins wins the competition, I may have to make "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk" my personal ringtone.

No comments: