Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Safety Tattoos for Nut-Free Kids!

Well, if ever I needed proof that nut allergies are on the rise and that nut-allergic consumers are on companies' radar screens, this is it. I just received a One Step Ahead catalog that contains "Safety Tattoos with a Purpose" for young children. In addition to tattoos that can be personalized to include kids phone numbers, they also sell tattoos that say "No Nuts, Please!" The tattoo has a peanut in a red circle with a line through it--the universal symbol for "not allowed."

What a great product for those of us with very young children who can't always communicate their allergy needs when out and about. I can envision using these on field trips or special outings with preschoolers or toddlers. The temporary tattoos then wipe off when they're no longer needed.

No one wants to single their kids out in a negative way, but products like this seem almost as fun for kids to use as they are useful. I don't know about you but my kids have always loved temporary tattoos.

Just a note: I tried to find these online but was unable to. However, when I called the customer service number they assured me that the tattoos are in stock as of today! The item number is 15164 for "Tattoos with a Purpose": specify the nut-free tattoos. The customer service number is: 1-800-279-8440. They are a busy company, so you may need to call a few times before you reach a live person! :)

12 comments:

Unknown said...

It's a cute idea and much more fun than a boring old metal bracelet. I love the many creative ideas moms and dads come up with to keep their kiddos safe.

I always wonder how well these cute allergy things work. I tend not to pay attention to tattoos or pretty bracelets, but if I see a medicalert bracelet on anyone, it catches my eye. Does anyone worry about these tattoos and pretty bracelets being overlooked or not noticed in an emergency?

Karen said...

Another nut free tatoo

here

Jenny said...

Jennifer, I know how you feel, but I envision these tattoos as being used in tandem with the allergy bracelets that kids wear.

I would never suggest that these are to be used instead of the emergency bracelet, but rather as one extra caution not to give the child nuts.

I see now that some people may take it that way so thanks for pointing that out--please everybody, always wear the bracelet, but use the tattoos to help identify the kids so that an emergency won't happen.

Karen also provided a link to these types of tattoos--take a look!

Unknown said...

Oops, sorry! I didn't mean my earlier comment as a criticism. I am glad I asked though because it did not occur to me to use a tattoo and bracelet together. (Maybe it's because I have 2 boys and accessorizing is pretty much nonexistent here...just getting the little one to keep his shirt on in warmer weather was a challenge last year! lol)

Thanks for sharing an interesting find!

Jenny said...

I didn't take it that way Jennifer B! Helpful comments like yours are always welcome here! :)

You're right--it's easy to get girls to accessorize--much easier.

The good thing about the tattoos is that they are not so gender-specific (like a bracelet)and they can't be felt once they are on. I hadn't thought about this before your comment, but maybe boys would go for these more since they're not "jewelry."

Anonymous said...

i like that idea! i have to order another medic alert bracelet....john lost his again! ugh.

celiacmama said...

I'm always looking for new ideas and this one is fantastic. I'll have a fun summer of hopefully educating people about food allergies given I'm the "team manager" of my son's soccer team. They asked me mostly because of his peanut allergy and the fact that I'll be diligent with snacks. I may have to get a couple of these tattoos to try out for on the field!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this idea. I get that catalog and I couldn't find the ad for it in there!

I found the website for "Tattoos with a Purpose", if you want to see more.... www.tattooswithapurpose.com

My son is 2 1/2 and currently has a medi-alert tag on his shoes in case of an emergency, but this would be a nice addition, especially for the summertime

Jenny said...

Thanks for the link!

The tattoos are available in the most recent One Step Ahead catalog--I just got it last week. In fact, they hadn't even shown up on the company web site yet!

Keep looking for these in future catalogs, everybody. I'm hoping they'll keep them as an in-stock item if a lot of us order them!

Anonymous said...

Great concept - temporary tattoos with safety information for wandering kids. I've used a similar product that has an added benefit - no water required! Safetytat.com is th company and they have a bunch of stuff to choose from. Some you customize on the spot. Pretty cool for summer time.

Victoria said...

Check out www.allergytattoos.com It's another temporary tattoo that my daughter loves. Created by a mother of a child with a nut allergy. I agree a medical alert bracelet is important but the added visual alert of the tattoo is wonderful!!
P.S. If you send an e-mail to info@allergytattoos.com and ask for a sample they will send you a free tattoo!

tattoos designs said...

this is okay concept for tattoos designs .