Friday, May 10, 2013

The Nut-Free Buzz About Biscoff: Europe's Peanut-Free Peanut Butter Alternative and Cookie

Today's Nut-Free Supermarket Find Friday item is...Biscoff! So many of you have asked me about Biscoff in recent weeks and months that I thought it was high time I posted about this product, or really line of products since in addition to a spread, Biscoff makes delicious cookies. Crisp and sweet, they taste a little bit like a cinnamon-y gingersnap. My entire family loves the cookies and the spread.

Just a note here for those of you looking for a peanut butter substitute: I don't think of the Biscoff spread as a true peanut butter alternative, like say, SunButter, because the Biscoff Spread is made from cookies. Yes, it's very delicious, but it's not a health food. Still, if you want to try something new, Biscoff is some tasty stuff. Also it may look like peanut butter but it smells or tastes NOTHING like peanut butter, a boon to kids who, because of severe allergies, are repelled by other substitutes.



Biscoff items are a product of Belgium and since I always like to double-check any foods not made here in the U.S. due to labeling concerns and manufacturing practices, I am happy to say this company appears to be very transparent about their allergy info. Here's the nut-free deal with regard to this product:

Biscoff  spread is made in a nut-free facility as are the cookies. Biscoff Spread is packaged (not produced) in a facility that also has hazelnut items being packaged there as well. This does not trouble me, since the facility where the Biscoff is produced is nut-free, according to the company and the say they take precautions during packaging. Click this link to the Biscoff FAQs page as well as an excerpt from the company web site:

"Does Biscoff contain any nuts? Should I be worried if I have any nut allergies?
Both Biscoff Cookies and Biscoff Spread do not contain any nuts and are produced in a facility that contains no nuts.

Biscoff Spread is packed in a facility that packs other products that contain hazelnuts. Our packer guarantees 0% contamination for Biscoff Spread with any other products that contains nuts. Biscoff Spread is packed in a separate dedicated line and is never packed on shared equipment used for other products containing nuts.

Biscoff Crumbles are packed in a facility that processes eggs, nuts, peanuts and sesame."

I have never seen the Biscoff Crumbles in stores, but obviously avoid those.

More allergy info from the Biscoff web site:

"What are the allergy warnings for Biscoff Cookies and Biscoff Spread?
Biscoff Cookies and Biscoff Spread both contain wheat and soy. Biscoff Cookies and Spread are both Vegan."

Note from me (Jenny): this product contains sunflower oil, so avoid if you have a sunflower seed allergy.

You can find Biscoff spread and cookies at most well-stocked grocery stores. I've seen these items everywhere from my local Jewel grocery store, to SuperTarget and Walmart.

If you think you'd like to try this and get creative with recipes, check out this link I found from The Huffington Post, all about Biscoff and recipes that use both the spread and cookies. They may not all be nut-free recipes, but they are certainly yummy-looking and creative. You can always alter them to make them "free from" what you need to avoid.


For more information about Biscoff products, visit their web site: http://biscoff.com

Please note: With any foods mentioned here, you are the best judge of what is safe for you and your family. If you have any questions about any foods mentioned here and whether they are safe to consume, please ask your doctor.

2 comments:

Erica P. said...

What a coincidence - I just found this stuff last week, and though my son hasn't tried it yet, I think it is pretty tasty. But I wouldn't call it a sub either - it is crushed cookies - a total desert. But I bet I could come up with some good recipes for this making granola bars!
Excited to experiment.
Also excited for the new Stretch Island Fruit Snacks which are corn-syrup free too.

Anonymous said...

I use it to firm up/set homemade frosting instead of powered sugar sometimes for cupcakes