Monday, July 18, 2011

Food Allergy-Friendly "Sunella"--Our Nut-Free "Nutella" Substitute

I don't know if it's all of those Nutella commercials that we've been seeing lately (you know, Nutella for breakfast, etc.) but a lot of you have been contacting me about my recipe for as we call it, "Sunella" a nut-free hazelnut chocolate spread that we make at home using SunButter brand sunflower seed butter.

I posted this recipe awhile ago and when Babble.com was looking for allergy-friendly recipes on their Facebook page, I entered this and won a cookbook! So I hope you'll try it. What follows is my original post:


I used to be a big fan of Nutella, that chocolate-hazelnut spread that is a European sensation but is now widely available in the U.S. I don't have peanut butter or tree nut products in my house anymore, but I definitely have missed Nutella. I bet some of you do, too.

Last week, I remembered that I had (from years ago) a peanut butter-chocolate recipe that was meant to be used as filling for dessert calzones (this recipe was suggested if you didn't have access to Nutella). I used to make these dessert calzones using only Nutella, but that was back in the days before nut allergies came into my life.

I dug up this book and decided to use SunButter in this recipe, along with a few other of my changes. I know that some of you with nut allergies also are allergic to seeds, so if you can have soy butter, you can replace the SunButter with that. In fact, I've seen a soy butter-chocolate spread at the supermarket, but making your own tastes a lot better if you have the time. Personally my family and I prefer the taste of SunButter over soy butter, but of course, use what you like best.

So here goes: the SunButter(R)-chocolate spread recipe followed by the one for dessert calzones. Enjoy!

SunButter(R) -Chocolate Spread

2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Hershey's)
2/3 cup milk (any kind--substitute non-dairy if you need to)
1 tsp vanilla extract (I use McCormick or Nielsen-Massey)
1/2 cup SunButter brand sunflower seed spread

In a medium saucepan, stir the sugar and cocoa powder until blended. Gradually stir in the milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, then lower heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for at least 5 minutes. Add the vanilla and Sunbutter, stirring until smooth. Let cool thoroughly before using.

Store this in the refrigerator. It will keep for about a week.

Dessert calzones with Sunbutter-chocolate filling

Use your favorite pizza dough recipe or buy pre-made dough (I sometimes use Pillsbury brand). Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.

Divide the dough into 6 pieces and roll each piece into a 6-7 inch circle. Spoon two tablespoons filling into the center, then fold dough into a half-moon over the filling. Pinch the edges together and fold bottom half over top, crimping to seal well. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, leaving 2 inches between each calzone. Bake until well browned-between 12 and 20 minutes, depending on your oven. Remove from oven and sprinkle with confectioner's sugar. Devour in minutes.






13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Also, IM Healthy Soynut Butter comes in chocolate and that's my daughter's version of Nutella. :)

Lindsay said...

Oh my goodness! This sounds SO good! I miss Nutella too, Jenny. This is going to be a great substitute. Thank you for sharing your recipe. :)

MonicaB said...

Thank you! I grew up with Nutella and haven't had it in over 7 years. I know my son will love this and be so excited to have a "new" food to eat.

April said...

Wonder if this would work with wowbutter (soy butter)????

Hollie Joy In The Morning said...

Creative! I love getting to try and reproduce recipes...sunbutter makes us happy too, as well as Soynut Butter our longtime friend!
Hollie

Anonymous said...

My daughter Alexandra has a general nut allergy. She is half Italian. Nutella has been a staple in our lives for generations. She has never been able to try it. I have searched the globe (i.e. Internet) for an ideal substitute. Today, Alexandra came home and excitedly announced that she had tried a chocolate-spread that was yummy and didn't send her into anaphalactic shock. Ha, ha... It's called, Tulicreme.

Alexandra is also half Portuguese. This spread is made in Portugal and imported to North America. It is made of cocoa, milk and creme. It has very little preservative, so it does need to be in the refridgerator. Which can make it a bit harder to spread. But it is a more natural product than Nutella. Here is a link to the manufacturer of this nut-free product. Alexandra says, "Mom, it's delicious"!

http://www.unileverfoodsolutions.us/who-we-are/contact

Elizabeth H. said...

This is amazing!

Modern Allergy Mom said...

Thank you for figuring this out. I have been trying to figure out a way to replicate Nutella. i just made it and OMG it is soooooooo good!

Katherine said...

Thanks Jenny. Unfortunately, my son also has an allergy to sesame seeds, and is to avoid all seeds. Can you think of anything else to use to create a chocolate spread that is both nut-free and seed-free?! I've tried a few recipes using sugar, cream and butter with the chocolate...they all just wind up tasting like chocolate icing! Thanks

Jenny said...

Hi Katherine, I believe in the post I mentioned sunflower seed allegies and suggested soy butter in lieu of SunButter. Or you can try this ready made soy butter version http://www.soynutbutter.com/Section/Shop/Peanut_Butter_Substitute/Chocolate/index.html

katherine said...

Jenny,
You did! I neglected to mention that he may have a soy allergy--and that some allergists suggest that since peanuts and soybeans are related, people with peanuts should avoid soybeans. (Though they don't tell you to avoid beans or peas which are also legumes.) My son's doctor wants us to steer clear of soy. Ugh! Thanks anyway.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this. I can't wait to try this out for my son. :)

Spencer @ Moo-Lolly-Bar said...

Sounds very delicious! And quite creative too. Would love to try some.