Friday, August 16, 2013

From The Nut-Free Mom Blog Archives: Food Allergies and Letting Go

My kids head back to school next week, so this is our last Friday before the start of the new school year. I've been thinking about those of you sending new students to school this year and remembering what that was like -- vividly.

It can be very stressful to let go of a child and send them off to school, so I wanted to share one of my posts from the blog archives. Click the link to read my post called "Letting Go." I wrote it right before my youngest began kindergarten and my oldest began a new school as a third grader. We had moved, so our old school with our established ways of managing allergies was no longer there for us. Read more here.

Have you ever wanted to tell someone what it's like to be the parent of a child with severe food allergies? I wrote an article for The TODAY Show Moms site that describes this very thing. Please feel free to share this short essay that outlines the pitfalls of being a food allergy parent.

Coming up very soon, I'm excited to share a back-to-school lunch post with you all. I'll have some great lunch resources and ideas, but I'd love to post some of my readers' lunch favorites. This year, I'm on a mission for a better, more interesting and healthy nut-free lunch. If you have any lunch faves you'd like to share, share them in the comments below. I'll share them in an upcoming blog post and on Pinterest. Tell us what it is and what ingredients you use -- give us the details so that others can recreate it.

Here's one resource I'll be listing in my food allergy-friendly lunch post: Candice Foods, a sponsor of this blog. If you are looking for a healthy energy bar without all the sugar and saturated fat, plus a food that's made in a nut-free, gluten-free facility (and free of many top allergens), be sure to check out their website. These bars are so good, you'd never know that they are "free-from" anything. My daughters like to pack a Candice Foods energy bar in their dance bag, as a snack to get them through the day, or as a quick side for lunch. Click the "Candice Foods" button on the right sidebar of my blog to find out more and to get ordering info.

I know that many of you are heading back to school in the next few weeks, so my best wishes to you and be sure to come back to the blog for more resources, articles, and info. Or if you just need to vent!

Thanks to everyone who shares their family favorite nut-free or free-from lunch to be included in an upcoming post and on Pinterest!

No comments: