This is a big weekend for travel so I thought it was a good idea to review some tips for safe travel with allergies. Travel with food allergies goes much, much more smoothly if you have all your ducks in a row before you leave. Hey, you're packing for the kids anyway, so here's just a few more things to remember. If you're kids are old enough, be sure to include them in the process. It's good practice for them.
The important thing is to be prepared for anything, so with that in mind, here goes:
- Bring extra medication. Asthma meds, EpiPens, etc.: make sure you have extra in case one goes missing.
- Make sure you've got your doctors' phone numbers and info easily accessible. Program this info into your cell phone to make sure you've got it if there is (hopefully not!) an emergency.
- Bring your food allergy action plan. In the event anything goes wrong, having this doctor-approved plan will help you stay calm and take the right steps in the event of an emergency.
- Bring a small cooler with a couple of meals (for car travel) or at least one meal in an insulated lunch bag (if necessary) for air travel. Traveling with food allergies is like a box of chocolates--you never know what you're gonna get. Eliminate the need for possibly unsafe food by being prepared with some of your own meals. You can always buy more safe when you get to your destination. You also won't be forced into feeding your child a restaurant meal from a place you haven't researched.
- Stock up on safe snacks. I love Enjoy Life Foods snacks--they are delicious and free of the top 8 allergens. Plus, they are individually packaged for convenience. Fruits, raisins and cut up veggies are also good, healthy choices.
- Bring a placemat. A washable vinyl placemat or one of the useful placemats from AllergyEssentials USA is a great way to cut down on cross-contact when feeding your child away from home.
- Make sure you've got a couple of safe restaurant options at your destination. A quick Internet search and a couple of phone calls will ensure less "dining out drama" on your trip.