Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Food Allergy News: New to Peanut and/or Tree Nut Allergy?

With several of the big holidays behind us, I've been hearing from many of you who are new to peanut and tree nut allergies, in addtion to other food allergies. For some reason, the new year brings new food allergies and it can be a very scary and confusing time.

That's why I'm including a link to a recent post featuring my advice for those new to food allergies.

Take heart, take your time to get used to your new life and most of all, join us here as well as on my social networking including my Nut-Free Mom Facebook page and Twitter. I hope you will also check out some great food allergy resources including FAAN, The Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network and FAI, The Food Allergy Initiative.

Another great resource for the newly diagnoses is Allergic Living magazine. (Full disclosure: I'm an associate editor. But I started as one of their readers and it's a great magazine!)

3 comments:

tiffany said...

Im new to traveling with tree nut allergy to tropics. Any helpful hints

Sandy K said...

Hi Jenny - I am new to the nut allergy world. Thank you for your blog as it has helped me tremendously with my research.

My son has peanut and tree nut allergies. I have been using a moisturizer that includes Macadamia nut oil (Cetaphil). I have used it his entire life (2 years) and he has never had a problem but because of his diagnosis, I stopped using it.

When trying to find moisturizer, hand lotion, and makeup (and in the Summer, sunblock) most of the ingredients sound like long chemical names. Do you have any suggestions on using these items?

I contacted the manufacturer for the hand lotion I use in the winter time - Gold Bond Ultimate Healing with Aloe (love it) and the person said that some of the fragrances "might" contain nut oils and before using it on my son, I should contact his allergist. I was just going to use it on me.

I really need a moisturizer for my face. It is winter here in the Northeast and gotta have it. Please give me whatever suggestions you have.

Thank you.
Sandy K

Jenny said...

Hi Sandy--Thanks for commenting! Yes, Cetaphil is a suprising one. I'm glad you checked on it.

We have had pretty good luck with both Aveeno and Neutrogena products. The lotions/hand creams that I use from them do not not contain nut oils.

As far as "may contain" for lotions, I'm less concerned about trace amounts in lotions since we are not ingesting those. But I would check with your doctor on that since everyone has different sensitivity.

As you already mentioned, if you are using lotions for your child, you will of course want to skip anything with nut oils.

Thanks for your helpful questions--many others share them. I'm happy you found us!

Best, Jenny