Saturday, March 22, 2008

Not Eggs-actly Fun to Have Food Allergies at Easter

Just when I thought that the candy companies couldn't possibly find more places to put peanut butter, (actually, I never think that, I only hope for it) Reese's decided to stuff some PB into a bunny's body cavity! Their latest product is chocolate Easter bunnies filled with peanut butter. Oh, joy.

In the old days when we first found out about my daughter's allergy, I felt pretty desperate when I walked through the supermarket looking for something to put in her daughter's Easter basket. Every single thing seemed to say "processed with peanuts." Thank goodness for Vermont Nut Free Chocolates. Also, for the jelly bean-frustrated (they almost always say "processed with peanuts"), Starburst has come out with a line of jelly beans that do appear to be safe.

However, it got me thinking about all the kids with egg allergies. Easter (if you celebrate it) has got to be really difficult. Eggs play a role in Passover celebrations, too, so that's another holiday that is hard for egg allergies (and nut allergies).

I envisioned what it would be like if Easter centered around ersatz versions of nuts. Sort of like Mr. Peanut gone wild. What if Walgreens carried big, plastic, brightly colored peanuts instead of eggs for stashing in Easter baskets? Needless to say, I (am my family) wouldn't like it one bit.

Thankfully, there isn't a holiday (yet!) that centers around peanuts. You've got to find the "silver linings" when you can.

And for everyone dealing with an egg allergy during the spring holidays--hang in there. Pretty soon it's baseball season and then it will be my turn to hear "Buy me some peanuts and cracker jack."

In the meantime, enjoy whatever holiday you're celebrating this spring! And let's be sure to impress everyone with our "allergy-friendly" recipes. They can become part of our new holiday food traditions. Anyone who has some great holiday recipes that are allergy-friendly, please feel free to post them here.

No comments: