Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Year!/Nut-Free Mom 1 Year Anniversary

A belated Happy New Year to you all! My whole family has been very "bronchial" for days, so you'll have to forgive me! :)



Last January when I launched this blog, I had no idea that I would reach so many of you or that I'd "meet" so many people with food allergy concerns.


The solidarity has been wonderful. Also, I've seen so much progress in 2008 with food allergy concerns, everything from more positive media coverage, to celebrity spokespeople (Trace Adkins, for one) and so much discussion about food labels and food allergy awareness.


To cap it off: before 2008 ended, I even read an additional follow-up to the Tribune food allergy investigation that showed that Whole Food continues to pull food off it's shelves--in this case, gluten-containing foods that are marked as "gluten-free." The Whole Foods source was quoted as saying that in addition to the investigative report, 20 local customers had called to complain about their food allergy practices. Yep--that's it. Just 20!


While food labels continue to be disturbingly innacurate, I'm so happy to see that consumer voices are being heard and having an impact.


I wish us a wonderful, progressive new year that continues to see light shed on food allergies, increased tolerance, better labels (!), and more confidence as we take our kids and ourselves through the "nutty" food allergy maze.


Best to all of you and thanks for reading! I appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts, concerns and comments. Keep 'em coming!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Jenny! I went to a Tony Attwood conference years ago and he said the kids with Asperger's who did the best were the ones with the most demanding, obnoxious mothers who wouldn't take "no" for an answer. Here's to another year of not taking "no" and demanding more for our kids.
Happy New Year
Wendy

Elaine at Matters of the Heart) said...

Happy New Year to you also..I have really enjoyed finding your blog.. You have helped me tremedously with this journey.

Unknown said...

Happy New Year and happy anniversary on your blog!

I always look forward to reading what's new on the Nut-Free Mom Blog.

Anonymous said...

Your blog is wonderful! It is insightful and inspiring!
Thanks and Happy New Year!
Krista

Jenny said...

Thanks everybody for your supportive comments--I really appreciate them.

Let's rock 2009 allergy-free!--J